Thursday, November 13, 2008

My story, how it all began

Hello all before I begin I feel it necessary to let you know that I am typing this with one hand. As a result of this time consuming manner of type sometimes I may not make it all the way and blogs will temporarily seem incomplete. Please bear with me as I work through this. :) I am also new to blogging, I'm hoping it will be an outlet for me and perhaps even help someone else.

My story; well it started August twelfth 2008 when at the age of thirty seven, for the first time in my life, I broke a bone. I was at work where I am a fireproofer in the construction industry, it was a Tuesday, walking along the job site and a simple trip on re-bar put my left hand into a cement wall and I broke my 5th metacarpal, also known as a boxer's break (boy the jokes I heard about that later lol) Other than the original cast being set wrong it was a seemingly routine break I would suppose.

Five weeks into the break my hand is getting sharp stabbing pains, tingling like pins and needles and some muscle spasms. All could be because of the break. We change the cast, wow still really swollen, omgosh the searing pain!!! I nearly passed out, turned pale ext. But other than that bone healing well yadda yadda yadda.

Week eight, cast comes off. My hand is still swollen, I can barely move fingers ext. Could be from being in the cast. Next week I start physio. Right away my therapist is worrying about hand and arm (as she called it early on). Small mention of it from time to time.

Long story short 14 weeks after the initial break, my hand, even with anti-inflammatorys and physio three times a week; is swollen, always hurts, I have funny purple knuckles show up and my palm is colored like a marble counter top. Many appts lead to my diagnosis of crps/rsd. What road am I on now??

Excuse this shortened form sparse explanation. There is much missed and much to add to this story. But my hand tires. I just wanted to get the jist of how this came about for me. I will add and extend this story as time and body allows. Again bear with me and thank you for understanding.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Dear Diary Blogger Template